For the benefit of people who are just arriving on Vote4ann.com–and as an update for those who have been here before–I would like to list some of my goals and objectives as a Town Council member:
- TO UPDATE the Town’s 13-year-old Land Use Plan, which provides a vision statement for the Town’s identity, development, and future growth; clearly defines the Town’s goals and objectives; and serves as a vital planning and policymaking blueprint for the Town Planning Board and Town Council.
- TO PREVENT cut-through traffic, as well as improve the traffic flow on N.C. 12 and lobby for the Mid-Currituck Bridge.
- TO ESTABLISH a Town Code enforcement system that is not “complaint-drive,” like the current one is. No one should have to “inform” on a neighbor.
- TO AVOID increases in property taxes and strive to lower them, by identifying alternative funding, such as federal and state grants, for beach nourishment and other Town projects, and by tightening the Town’s budget.
- TO MAINTAIN roads and infrastructure in a fiscally responsible way that is supported by property owners. The public should be consulted about widening roads and adding walkways.
- TO PROMOTE open government through more public dialogue—especially when high-dollar projects are being considered—and more transparency.
- TO PROTECT the environment, in particular, by improving stormwater management, inhibiting clear-cutting of all trees on a building lot, and profiling the beaches every summer for erosion.
- TO LISTEN TO ANY RESIDENT AND/OR PROPERTY OWNER WHO HAS A PROBLEM AND TO TAKE ACTION TO RESOLVE IT. You can call me directly!
I have a number of ideas for increasing public involvement in Town government, including holding a Town Hall “State of Southern Shores” meeting every January, and designating citizen committees on public safety, zoning/development, and the environment.
You also deserve a response and more than 3 minutes when you speak to the Town Council during the public-comment periods of Council meetings. The exchange that occurs between Town Council members and the public at open meetings is vitally important.
For more about my background and my platform, please click on the “Ann’s Story” and “Our Town” links above. I would be honored to serve as your Town Council representative.
Best wishes, Ann